Founded in 1989, The Community School is a private, non-sectarian, co-educational day school serving students in grades 6 to 12. We are fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Our students are bright, highly motivated young people from towns in central New Hampshire and western Maine, who come to us because they crave connections–to people and places, to their learning, and to the broader world. Students and teachers collaborate in small multidisciplinary classes, at school meeting, and on the school’s farm and forests to build a healthy local community that contributes to a sustainable world. In preparation for college and meaningful work, students learn by doing, connect with nature, develop an ethic of stewardship, solve real problems, and provide service to others. Inquiries and applications are considered at any time, and it is not unusual for students to enter during the school year.
- learning is a joyful and rigorous pursuit.
- by interacting with people and places, we develop a sense of responsibility and caring.
- when we discover our aptitude and interests — and find them valued by others — we become eager learners.
- we should be proud to use our bodies to do hard work. There is great satisfaction in sharing in labor for the sake of a common need.
- cooperation and collaboration are essential to a sustainable society.
- true learning calls on our mind, heart, and body. It requires hard work.
- we are all capable of creating something beautiful.
Our learning environments offer…
to middle schoolers, grades 6-8
- active classes designed to engage the whole child
- teachers who love the energy middle schoolers bring to the table
- individual support in development of critical skills and executive function
- a safe and nurturing place for exploration of self and social growth
- a curriculum which gets all kids outside, on a regular basis
to high schoolers, grades 9-12
- an experiential program which incorporates college preparatory core literacies with development of critical skills and dispositions
- a less-is-more approach, allowing for digging deep into subjects, solving real world problems
- annual opportunities for national and international travel
- individualized support in the college application process
- a proven track record of 100% college acceptance to first-choice schools for seniors
The Community School is not a therapeutic setting and does not offer formal Special Education or counseling services. We do not have certified special educators on staff. While this is the case, we find that motivated students who suffer from anxiety, have minor learning disabilities, mild to moderate ADHS or Asperger’s can, with the support of their families, do very well in our nurturing environment, even without specialized services.
For more information on what makes our classes interesting and unique, or to begin the application process, click on a link below:
- School Profile and Courses
- Tuition and Fees
- Financial Aid
- Recommendation Forms
- Request for Records Form
The Community School • 1164 Bunker Hill Road • South Tamworth, NH 03883 (603) 323-7000 • fax (603) 323-8240 firstname.lastname@example.org